North Dakota Legal & Ethical Issues for Mental Health Clinicians
Join Susan Lewis, psychologist and attorney, for this recording that will prepare you for litigation issues which can put your clients, your license and your practice at risk. You will learn how to structure your practice to limit exposure of risk, as well as discover simple records, notes and actions that will protect you in the event of a complaint. Susan will provide you with the following take-home tools to minimize risk:
- Updates on HIPAA and North Dakota laws and regulations
- Risk management strategies
- How to avoid litigation dilemmas, complaints and malpractice actions
- Best practices in the professional relationship, informed consent and office policies
You will learn through problem-solving discussions that are representative of actual ethical decisions you encounter in your clinical practice. The blending of Susan’s experience as a lawyer, work within the court system and extensive clinical experience makes her a hands-on, knowledgeable instructor!
This recording will help to prepare you for when and if you are faced with litigation.
- Communicate how to avoid litigation dilemmas, licensing complaints and malpractice actions.
- Explore the legal and ethical considerations for the treatment of minor populations in North Dakota with regard to age of consent, confidentiality and custody concerns.
- Communicate how an understanding of common boundary and dual relationships issues/dilemmas can help you maintain appropriate relationships with your clients.
- Recognize ethical challenges you should consider when responding to subpoenas that request disclosure of client records.
- Analyze the limits of confidentiality as it relates to duty to warn in North Dakota.
- Articulate how risk management strategies regarding technology can keep client information secure and avoid violating HIPAA.
- Law vs. ethics
- Elements of legal informed consent
- Nuts and bolts of office policies
- Records vs. psychotherapy notes
- What to put in a record
- Limitations on confidentiality
- North Dakota case law & danger to others
- North Dakota duty to warn potential victims
- The latest updates you need to know
Practical Approach to Risk Management
- Elements of Consent
- Competence & scope of practice
- Boundary violations/crossings
- Issues with modern technology
- Texting, cell phones, e-mail, video psychotherapy
- Perils of supervision
- Licensing complaints & malpractice lawsuits
- North Dakota specific statutes
- North Dakota rules and regulations
- Case law and how to find it
Navigate the Legal System
- Roles of attorneys
- Subpoena & disclosure of confidential information
- Depositions, interrogatories, expert testimony
Treatment of Minors
- North Dakota age of majority
- Consent to treatment
- Separation & divorce
North Dakota Legal & Ethical Issues for Mental Health Clinicians – Susan Lewis Review. North Dakota Legal & Ethical Issues for Mental Health Clinicians – Susan Lewis download. North Dakota Legal & Ethical Issues for Mental Health Clinicians – Susan Lewis discount.